Friday, March 30, 2012

Photo Friday: Weekend Pass Edition

I'm sorry I missed you kids and cadettes yesterday-- I've had a phantom fever that won't stop! Managed to watch the menacingly toned, great-until-the-last-fifteen-minutes horror flick Parents (expect a post next week), in between hours of dreamless sleep and demanding sugar free Popsicles and diet Sprite Zero from my Florence Nightingale of a bab (thanks, Matthew, for not mercy killing me as I requested). I'm back at work today, but still have an out of body experience like POV on the world. And what better state of mind to be in to write a Photo Friday post, right? Right. Let's get to the business of perusing other people's photos, shall we?

 These photos were bought in a bunch from an estate sale out in Crieve Hall a year or two ago-- amongst a literal shoebox full of snaps, I tried to single out all the ones from this particular vacation two girls took to see one's enlisted man boyfriend (Dan). I imagine Pauline (left) and Ruby (right) both putting together an overnight bag of their cutest outfits and heading out to the encampment! Here's Ruby in the ocean. I like how she obviously still has on her red lipstick and her hair is carefully done up in a kerchief. No dunkings for this permanent!

 Here's Pauline in the same ocean, except with a stone cold, short-shorts cutie in tow! I love that he's marked as "?" on the labeling... I think these pictures must have been from Ruby's collection, because the notations seem to favor her memory over Pauline's. Think about Ruby years later going over each photo with a captioning ink pen to make sure she remember what was what. Pauline is too skinny! And "?" is too hunky...look at those deepset, writer-in-the-1920's type eyes. Too bad they didn't get his name!

 The back of this one says "Norfolk, VA--Went to see Dan Brown. Pauline Irving and I went". Maybe it's my sickness eyes, but I can't tell if this one with the army-man is Ruby or Pauline. Either way, that peplum'd dress top, checked skirt, and twisted pearl necklace is for the win! Also, the man in the uniform isn't too bad looking, huh? I always have a little smile to myself when I see shorter men (5'7'' and below) in uniform, because I think of my poor 6'2'' WWII enthusiast dad going through pair after pair of woolen 1940's uniform pants at flea markets in the 70's, trying like heck to find some that didn't make him look like he'd borrowed styling tips from Jughead. He never did succeed. Pauvre. Were there no Gary Cooper, long and lean men in the service in those days? Who knows.

 Here, the labeling is a little less ambiguous. Ruby and Dan, what a pair! The back says "Grant Park-- 'Sweet Hearts', 'Soldier Pals'." Could that be any cuter? I want to know how they got from Norfolk, VA to Grant Park (presumably the one in Chicago?). Do you think it was the same trip or two separate ones?

 Last but not least, I think this is Ruby again, stretched out in a provocative, Rita Hayworth style pose as several long shadows cast across the frame. Think they were Pauline and one of the boys?

 I think that's all I'm able to dish out this morning, but tell me what you think about Ruby and Pauline and Dan! Do you have any WWII sweetheart pics amongst your collection? Do you ever scrape through the barrels of photos at estate sales looking for pictures with a narrative? Let a girl know! Have a fabulous weekend, and I'll see you on the other side of it. :) Hopefully with no fever brain!

6 comments:

  1. Once again, the treasures from your collection are wonderful! What is even more wonderful is your musings about them. They are very well thought out and expressed. By the way, my dad and uncle on my mom's side of the team were at the 6'2" stature, so they did exist. Not sure what happened to my dad's pants. His parents most likely gave they away or used them as rags. I know my uncle's were saved, but then ended up with his widow. They had no kids, she was an only child to boot. She gave it away I am sure. The photos she must have most likely will end up in a box someone buys. She would not share them 20 years ago when asked before my wedding. Wouldn't it be great if you did and I saw ourselves in them? Maybe that is why I read your posts so regularly? I feel like a "stalker" or as my kids say a "creeper" when reading them. Oh well, keep posting. They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so sweet!! I love that they have a bit of a story behind them.

    Also, I must add that I watched "Thieves Like Us" after seeing your post about it-- so fantastic! Really, it might've usurped 'Bonnie and Clyde' in my heart... I appreciated the quietness, and the radio. And such a beautiful authentic set. Thank you for writing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cute! I really love how when they would take a picture they would just go out and pose on the lawn. really darling. oh yea and i love your new blog disign!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you are really going hard on the blogging this month girl!! No time to catch up for me though, unfortunately :( Hope you feel better soon.xx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i feel like i NEVER find photos at estate sales, which is a shame because i LOVE to collect vintage photos. I definitely look for related ones, and I especially like vacation photos. That is a great little series. i love the first one of ruby in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Vivian: You ain't no stalker! (as they say, in the vernacular of my people) Come by anytime! :) Wish I had those 6'2'' guys' uniforms; they really do seem to be a rarity.

    @Dakota: I'm so glad you liked it! I hadn't even HEARD of it before I was trying to do a follow up on 3 Women. Such eye candy and such a gratifyingly slow pace. But that ending! That ending was rough.

    @Beth: Makes me want to put on my best and head out to the front lawn right now, right!

    @Kitty: You can do it! I'm almost all better already, so thanks for the well wishes. :)

    @Rae: Thanks! I can't seem to stop buying them... I always feel like whenever I see a picture "Wait! But this is your one chance to own this picture!" which is true, but which is also the buying impulse that's going to get me a spot on "Hoarders" some day...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...