Monday, May 26, 2014

Rerun: Happy Memorial Day!

This post originally appeared on She Was a Bird May, 27, 2013.

Good morning!

It's Memorial Day, yesssss! Any paid holiday is a good holiday for me. I'm about to sit back and drink some coffee while working through this book of Victorian ghost stories in my idle moments before we head out to a friend's baby shower, but I didn't forget about you, dear readers! Here are some gorgeous old greeting cards from the turn of the century and a little before. You can read more about Memorial Day (including its history under its past moniker, "Decoration Day"...note how a few of these cards are specifically about decorating the graves of the fallen dead, which speaks to the actual roots of the holiday) history here. Have a good day off, and I'll talk to you tomorrow!

source
source
source
source
source
source
source
source
source

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, my public library in MI closed on Mother's Day and for three days for Memorial Day! What in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your librarians are laying down on the job! We only get one day for FEDERAL HOLIDAYS here. Still, I'm jealous, can't lie, for the extra vacation time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...